[Advisory] Draft program for the Berlin 13 Open Access Conference on 21/22 March 2017

Virginia Barbour, Executive Director, AOASG aoasg.eo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:45:41 CET 2016

Dear all,

Greetings from a hot and humid Brisbane! I'm also very pleased to be part
of this group.
I support the idea of having a diversity of opinions and very importantly
having examples of speakers from initiatives that have succeeded and would
prefer this over theoretical discussion if time is limited. I presume
SCOAP3 was discussed last year, other wise that is an obvious example.
Knowledge Unlatched is another possibility.

>From the perspective of Australia and New Zealand I will say that there is
still a lot of concern over the flipped model for two main reasons;

   - it perpetuates the dominance of large publishers
   - there is no guarantee that it will lower costs. Though I do note that
   SCOAP3 has been very effective in lowering effective APCS, what we see
   elsewhere is APCs that are out of control - especially for hybrid journals.
   In Australia and New Zealand we are very susceptible to currency
   fluctuation, which magnifies the problem -  in any given year it's not
   uncommon for it to affect purchasing power by 10-25%

Personally, I tend to be a bit more optimistic but I know that for many of
the people I represent these are very large concerns. This is one reason
why there are no Australian or New Zealand signatories to OA2020.

What I think we have to be supporting as a future, and therefore  ideally
focusing on at this meeting, is a move away from a single model as
currently represented as the subscription model we still largely have now
to a landscape that includes a diversity of (flipped) models. Hence for day
2 in the Concepts session, we should go for as many lightning (5-10 min)
talks as we can fit in. I am not sure I do think we should have
participants from large publishers as they can tend to dominate the
discussions.

For the National Contact Points on day 1  I would also hope (selfishly,
perhaps!) we can still include those who are likely to be observing OA2020
rather than signing up - which is likely to include Australasia for a while
at least.

All the best
Ginny

Dr Virginia Barbour
Executive Director, Australasian Open Access Strategy Group - AOASG
Brisbane, Australia
ORCID : 0000-0002-2358-2440 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2358-2440>

*web*: http://aoasg.org.au/
*email:* eo at aoasg.org.au
*twitter*: @openaccess_anz <https://twitter.com/openaccess_anz>
*AOASG OA* newsfeed
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109263495313410649195>

AOASG exists to advocate, collaborate, raise awareness, and help build
capacity in open access.