[Advisory] Draft program for the Berlin 13 Open Access Conference on 21/22 March 2017

Ralf Schimmer Schimmer at mpdl.mpg.de
Fri Nov 25 18:46:36 CET 2016

Dear members of the B13 Advisory Board,

first of all, we would like to thank everyone of you for your willingness to become a member of the Advisory Board of the Berlin 13 Open Access Conference. We are convinced that with your support the program of Berlin 13 will fulfill everybody's expectations and the conference will turn out to be an informative and constructive exchange.

Attached to this email, please find a text description of B13 plus a draft program. At this point in time, we would like to discuss with you only the description, the structure and perhaps the time allocation of the conference. As we would like to put this up on the conference homepage, we would like to receive your feedback by December 7.

We do already have some speakers in mind; but, generally, we would like to discuss speakers, moderators and additional details as a next step. For this, we will again provide a basis for discussion.

As this advisory board is composed of people from a maximum variation of time zones we will try to avoid virtual meetings as much as we can. Ideally, we want to base our discussion on emails via this listserv plus perhaps a few individual or small group phone calls. All in all, we don't want to take too much of your time but still try to be inclusive and efficient. In any case, your ideas and suggestions are welcome at any time.

For your first review it may be helpful to have some additional background information:

In the context of Berlin 12 the idea was discussed to build up a network of national contact points for OA2020, similar to the NCP network of SCOAPĀ³. Hereby an inspired network capable of acting shall emerge to coordinate, push and promote the necessary next steps for a successful transformation to Gold Open Access in the countries concerned. The cooperation in the NCP network shall support the regular exchange of experience and shall channel and facilitate mutual assistance.

On this basis, our wish for Berlin 13 is the further strengthening of such a network integrating interested colleagues from as many countries as possible. We are aware that in most of the countries further steps are to be taken to obtain a somewhat 'official' mandate as NCP by the national science system. Especially for this reason we consider a close cooperation among the proponents and supporters of our emerging NCP network to be helpful and necessary.

Berlin 13 offers a good opportunity for those who are interested in supporting OA2020 and volunteering as NCPs to get to know each other better and to improve the trust-based relationship. In order to give this the room it requires, we propose the first day of the conference to be restricted to the intended audience and to conclude the day with a joint dinner (plus perhaps a small social activity).

The second day, on the other hand, will be organized as an open forum for everyone who is interested in OA2020, including e.g. non-science organizations, political representatives and publishers. The program for this day will begin with a status report on OA2020. Then various concepts of transformation will be presented and discussed, statements of representatives from several countries and organizations shall round up the program.

At the end of day two, we plan to have a closed wrap-up session for one hour with a small working party of NCPs, which we hope to establish on day one. This working party could be the starting point of a broader governance structure that could emerge over time.

Again, we are grateful for your support in preparing Berlin 13, and we look forward to your feedback on our program ideas.

With best regards,
Ralf Schimmer

P.S.: I also re-circulate the member list of this Advisory Board - with Falk Reckling and Georg Botz as additional entries.